Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Book Review 1 - Hollow City by Ransom Riggs



Hollow City by Ransom Riggs is the sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. The first, I read prior to starting this blog. So here's a quick review for the first one, leading into the second one.

The first book was OK. I loved having the vintage pictures to go along with the descriptions. But I'm a fan of fast paced, edge of my seat books, and it was not one. The writing was wonderful, but the book was a world builder type. Everyone and everything had to be described and set up before anything could actually happen. I'm not saying it was a horrible book, just that if you're looking for something that you'll want to read straight through, the first book isn't it. 

The second book, Hollow City, is. 

Faster paced, less world building, and much more excitement. This is the book where things happened along the entire way and not just at the very end. There's twists and turns, and while the ending is not what I'd call a true cliffhanger, it does leave you wanting a conclusion. 

After reading the second, I can't wait for the third. If you're new to Miss Peregrine's and you're like me, try starting out the first book after you finish a really intense book. Kind of like a chaser. 

No comments:

Post a Comment