Thursday, April 24, 2014

Book Review - Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood.

One thing I'll say first off is that I usually do not like overly descriptive books. I like dialogue. I like everything and everyone moving around and talking to each other. When I first read a Margaret Atwood book, I thought I'd hate it. Because flipping through the book, you don't find too many quotation marks. The Handmaid's Tale ended up becoming one of my all time favorite books. The descriptions aren't forced and they are important. (Don't describe the tree to me if I don't need to know about the tree.)

Oryx and Crake is a post-apolcalyptic story told in present time and flashbacks. We never do find out exactly how far in our future "the flood" (as called in the next book) takes place, but there are hints here and there. References to historical events or items.

We follow Snowman aka Jimmy as he remembers his family, friend(s), and his own role in the events that caused him to be (1) alone and (2) the somewhat-leader of a group of man-made humans he calls "Crakers". 

That sentence makes it sound like this could be a humorous novel but it's not. Society builds itself up throughout the book only to be brought down in mere moments. Cures for diseases and aging galore, animal splices that can be downright silly (rakunks, pigoons), but once the world ends it doesn't matter. Don't let the silliness of the names fool you.

I won't spoil how the apocalypse actually happens as it includes a great build up throughout the book. You'll look back and wonder how you and Jimmy didn't notice. 

And just like The Handmaid's Tale, I look back and go, "yeah, society could really end this fucked up."

No comments:

Post a Comment