Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Book Review - The Fault In Our Stars


The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. 

It was okay. 

And that's not meant to be an in-joke from the book (cause the word okay is kind of a code word from the book). That's my opinion. It was okay. 

I guess I expected brilliance because of all the hype surrounding this book, but I should learn not to trust that (hello, Twilight). I did like it, but that's a lowercase L, liked not loved. Maybe because I don't know any teenagers with cancer? Maybe because I roll my eyes at teenagers who believe they're in love? (Then again, I guess when you don't have all the time in the world, you're bound to move quick.) I don't know. 

Some parts I did love. Isaac was by far my favorite character. He was real. Hazel's dad too. Maybe I just love side characters. Hazel's mom bothered me a little only because who keeps the fact that they're in college from their daughter?

Unfortunately, a lot of parts made me cringe. Every scene involving Lidewig and Peter Van Houten made me want to stop reading. I read their voices in my head as these high and low pitched fake voices because I could not picture actual people as these characters. They just screamed FAKE to me. And yes, I know it's a fictional book, but I like a realism when the story is set in a non-fantasy modern day. 

I am not saying it's a horrible book that no one should pick up. I'm actually glad I did because I did like it. 

And yeah, I cried. There is a funeral scene and anyone's who's lost someone they cared about can relate to the feeling of final goodbyes.

And yeah, life is finite. You feel sympathy for characters that have to live (even briefly) with the fact that their finite is not as long as everyone else's.

I'll see the movie. I'll probably cringe a little and cry a lot. And I'm sure I'll like it at least as much as I liked the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment